Monday, March 29, 2010

Black Eyed Peas music evolving nicely

Click here to Preview, download and buy
love this CD! If you are a fan of the Black Eyed Peas music you will not be disappointed by this new album. I've always loved the BEP's because their music makes me want to get up dance and it's always funky. I personally do not listen to a lot of mainstream music. I prefer EDM like House, breaks, drum and bass and trance. The BEP's are one of the few popular groups I love.
This album has fresh electronic vibe and Will.I.AM has done another great job producing the tracks-they sound great!!! If you like to dance you'll love it. Boom Boom Pow reminded my of old school breaks/ rollorskating music from my youth in the 80's. Rock That Body is very electro housey which I love. I've enjoyed all the tracks on this album very much.
Don't listen to the negative reviews out there this is a fantastic album!!! One of the earlier reviews called the sound bubble gum sounding. Honestly-do all people that hear a dance track have to call it bubble gummy? There is a BIG difference between good dance music and a bubble gum sound and this album belongs to the former. I think they don't get what the Black Eyed Peas are trying to achieve at all. I thought this album was quite evolved compared to most of the crap they play on the radio these days. If you don't get the sound that's cool. I don't look for 'messages' or rely on on CD's as public service announcements. It has to have a good beat and make me want to get up and shake it...

This album killed it for me right from the beginning. While driving home from the cd store the first four tracks left me grinning ear to ear. I have put Welcome To The World Of Plastic Beach and White Flag back to back again and again. Snoop is all style, he could spit nonsensical lyrics all day and it'll move you. The beat is addictive, I love Albarn's ability to keep that chill, full frontal gorillaz synth melody rolling, holding on to a high note transitioning from measure to measure. Its a perfect track for snoop, its got west coast written all over it, and Albarns got some affinity for west coast hip hop (Del) and chooses well where to utilize it.
White Flag is monstrous. I just love the fusion. It is so unique, so exotic, perfect to follow up snoop- both tracks describe this concept album, giving you a depth and conception right off the bat. I love the orchestra, but, I guess its just my taste, sometimes I skip the first minute just to hear Bashy and Kano rip it so hard on that island beat. It's almost the antithesis of Snoop, it's all about the clever tight lyrics, but Bashy's got this brash style reminiscent of Busta for me. He's just raw, cant say theres no style there. Kano completes the whole, lovely synthesis of style and lyricism from both Mc's, and again great juxtaposition with the beat and National Orchestra For Arabic Music. I love it.

Other highlights... well theres a ton. Actually 95% of the songs are worth listening to, for me an improvement from the last records (lookin at you Punk, Dare, White Light). I just think those songs in the Gorillaz catalog are less composed, or too upfront. They leave everything on the table right in front of your eyes, it's kinda boring. Stylo almost made it there in my book, but it certainly redeemed itself- its just too infective. Its like I love some of the other songs more, but I have to listen to Stylo just to hear that beat again. Mos Def, Albarn and Womack all make it a great listen. I thought it was a little predictable/standard at first, but theres enough there to keep me coming back.

0 comments: